It might surprise you that chicken feet are super nutritious! Because chicken feet are made up of mostly bones, tendons and cartilage, therefore they are high in protein and minerals essential to optimal health. Chicken feet are roughly 45-50% protein and 20-25% fat 1 lb pack.
A few specific benefits from chicken feet:
- Supports a strong immune system with high mineral content (such as copper, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, calcium)
- Great for the skin due to high collagen content; helps regenerate skin cells and protect the skin. Collagen increases elasticity of skin and helps prevent premature aging.
- Helps increase joint strength from the protein, cartilage and collagen content.
- Can help reduce blood pressure from the potassium (low potassium levels cause high blood pressure) and the collagen protein lowers plasma renin which then helps control blood pressure.
Chicken feet also make for great dog treats! All of the above makes them a healthy option for dogs to chew on with a few caveats:
- Serve them raw or dehydrated (NEVER give dogs cooked chicken bones as they can splinter and the dogs will easily choke on them). Raw bones are very soft and easy to chew up offering not only something safe, but also a very nutrient dense treat.
- It is a good idea to peel the feet (ours come already peeled as a USDA requirement) and snip off the nails for safety.
This website has some awesome, detailed information about chicken feet for dogs: https://kipandtwiggys.com/chicken-feet-for-dogs
As far as chicken feet for humans go, they are an awesome addition to any bone broth, but some people also cook them up! Check out Pinterest for some good recipes (I think I’ll be sticking with bone broth)!
Bone broth is super easy to make. In a crock pot simply add:
- chicken feet (our packs come with 8 and I would add all of them) to the crock pot
- Veggies; whatever you would like: celery, onions, garlic are always good options
- ¼ cup Apple cider vinegar or some kind of acidic addition like lemon juice or even wine (this helps release the nutrients from the chicken feet or bones)
- 1 tsp + Sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp + Ground pepper
- Add enough water to cover your ingredients by a couple of inches
- Add any herbs you would like (parsley, rosemary, thyme, sage, etc)
Cook on low for at least 24 hours. I am not comfortable leaving mine on all night, so I will turn it off just before I go to bed and turn it on as soon as I get up, usually it’s still pretty warm. Otherwise, in an instant pot for just two hours!
Once it is done and cools enough, strain the broth and use for soup, stew or chili OR store in mason jars in the fridge or freezer. You can of course drink it straight too!
NO added hormones
Non-GMO feed (no soy or corn)
Ingredients in feed: Fish meal, wheat, barley, a mix of vitamins and minerals
Ships within one week of ordering.